Saturday, August 11, 2007

Car Crazy

Could have been your fathers Oldsmobile



'57 Studebaker in Pepto-Pink



Flaming 39 Ford(nice bike in the background eh?)


Once monthly event in Auburn brings out all the "car crazy" locals, like me.

Many communities have similar events so if you have an interest in automotive art on wheels go check it out, it's worth a look-see.

Perseid meteor showers this weekend. If you have clear skies where you are, pound down some caffeine and pull up a reclining lawn chair and some beers and popcorn and watch.

Collecting your own meteorites is fun too using a kitty litter pan with 1/2 inch to 1 inch of water in it, place it in an area away from trees and in the open like a deck rail or the roof and let it sit overnight. Then look in the water tomorrow morning for what looks to be grains of sand, under strong magnification they will look shiny and glass-like, might even get a bigger one or two(1-2mm diameter). Peak is Suday night so if nothing shows up tomorrow, try again Sunday night. Here on the West Coast we have constant clear skies and I have collected several cool ones.

Good luck!

17 comments:

DEN said...

Usual Saturday workload for me so I wont be around most of the day.

Feel free to help yourself to the coffee and donuts.

DEN said...

I tried but could not get THIS vid to come up on the 'Cool Vids'

Micki and Bill put it together and it's cool.

Alan said...

hey hey Good job Micki and Bill!

I have a bird bath in the front and one in the back, but I never see 'em bathing. They'll stand in it for a drink, but that's it.
*shrug*

David B. Benson said...

The dirty bird gets the worm.

•¿•arol said...

The bird video was neat! My son got my Pinnacle editing program working again. I've had it how many months and haven't done a thing with it yet?

I think that will be more a winter project. Hope I can make something like Bill & Micki did, but my first plan of attack is to get the home movies that I put on VHS years ago on a DVD, then add music and text.

David B. Benson said...

Foo. I attempted to use the web to find out where the haze in the air is coming from.

Failed.

{ò,ó}arol said...


The Truth about Denial - Newsweek


Dr. B. Here's a good article from this past week's Newsweek. It shows the achingly sad and to me treasonous lengths the right wing greed machine has gone to deny human-caused climate change. So many people named in the article should be lined up against a wall and shot! To pick businesses bottom line and longevity over the human species, etc., is a crime against humanity.

We are so doomed.

David B. Benson said...

Anyway, about the local haze.

I think it is from the 80,000 acre Wallowa NF fire, which is about 80% out, but many smoldering spots. Wind seems to be, somewhat unusually, from that direction.

"Not the water, but the fire next time."

micki said...

Thanks for the happy chirping about our bird video! We're in Seattle and I'm not on my own computer -- I feel like I'm a TOTAL Luddite! Keying like I've never seen a keyboard in my life!

Thanks Den for posting the link.

Carol, yeah doomsday seems like a LOOMING POSSIBILITY.

micki said...

Gee. It worked.

micki said...

Dr B there was a site that tracked haze in the Palouse, or perhaps the causes of haze. don't know if it's up to date, but...

smokey.ce.wsu.edu

micki said...

Dr B there was a site that tracked haze in the Palouse, or perhaps the causes of haze. don't know if it's up to date, but...

smokey.ce.wsu.edu

micki said...

that worked 2X! Hahaha

David B. Benson said...

Micki --- Thanks, I got it the first time.

:-)

David B. Benson said...

Unfortunately, last updated

09 Jun 2006.

DEN said...

Doc, check out the satellite images for clouds or smoke and this too shows the clouds and smoke.

DEN said...

For real time satellite with motion.